Build Your Shipping Container Home With Shipping Containers from Citi-Cargo
New and Used Shipping Containers for Building Tiny Homes in the Midwest and Throughout the United States
How do I build a tiny home? What is shipping container living?
The tiny living movement is where people choose to downsize their living space in order to live more simply. Some people make their permanent residence a tiny home, while others build a tiny home for their lake house, hunting cabin or to have a vacation home.
Advantages of a building a tiny home with shipping containers
- Mobile or Permanent
- Often “up-cycled”
Why do people build tiny homes?
- Simplify life
- Minimize possessions
- Save money
- Improve home location
- Live sustainably
- Afford a get-away
Choosing Shipping Containers for Tiny Homes
Citi-Cargo shipping containers are secure and weather resistant, with heavy-duty flooring and high quality steel construction. We offer fast and on-time delivery.
The most popular sizes used for building a tiny home are 20’ x 8’ (medium) or 40’ x 8’ (large) with high-cube or extra wide options. Here are some things to consider when choosing containers for a tiny home:
20+ Foot Shipping Container for Tiny Homes
- Easier to transport and maneuver
- Great for remote or hard-to-access locations
- Available access on both ends
- Cheaper per unit than 40 foot containers, but more expensive per square foot
- 144 square feet; may need to join units (effort/expense)
40+ Foot Shipping Containers for Tiny Homes
- Most commonly used
- Great value
- High cube (9’6″) available
- More than 300 square feet
- Heavy duty floors
- Fewer units needed
- More expensive to transport per unit
- Harder to maneuver
Typical Tiny Home Fast Facts*
- Home size: 100-500 sq ft.
- Container Specs: 20 ft. or 40 ft. , 8.5 ft tall, 8 ft. wide
- Material: High-quality steel
- Condition: Inspect for rust, dents and odor
- Durability: “Heavy tested” containers hold 30,000kg; weather resistant
- Delivery: Buy local to reduce cost
Shipping Container Home Resources
- Abode in a Box: Shipping container homes are one of the hottest trends in alternative living.
- Shipping Container Transformed into a Tiny House
- Top 10 Shipping Container Tiny Houses
- Container Dimensions for a Tiny House
- Shipping Container House Foundations (YouTube Video)
- Placing the Containers on the Foundation (YouTube Video)
- How to Build a Shipping Container Home – The Complete Guide (E-Book)
I love living in this home, and all of my friends and family members always want to come over and stay here in the house. It’s got a great story behind it, and it has a positive impact on the world … because people can see that you can re-use, re-purpose, and recycle while still building a beautiful and functional home that will last for a very, very long time. ContainerHomePlans.org
[Container homes] are stackable. They are super innovative. You can put them side by side or on top of each other. And they come ready to ship, which is the heart of any kind of modular structure. MSPMag.com